Laser skin resurfacing is a non-surgical, proven way to help reduce signs of ageing, improve skin tone, heal acne, reduce scarring, and promote a naturally youthful appearance.
Here, we’ll cover everything you need to know about fractional resurfacing, including what to expect during treatment, how to prepare for laser treatment, and how to care for your skin after laser resurfacing.
What Is Fractional Resurfacing?
Venus Viva™ skin resurfacing treatments work by safely creating tiny micro-wounds deep within the skin’s surface through the use of microneedles. The body then works to repair these micro-wounds.
During this repair process, collagen and elastin synthesis is promoted. This increased production of collagen and elastin can lead to dramatic results, including reduced pores, smoother skin texture, reduced signs of ageing, and an overall youthful glow.
What Are the Benefits of Fractional Resurfacing?
Venus Viva Fractional Resurfacing features revolutionary technology that delivers dramatic results without the downtime typically associated with laser resurfacing treatments.
The benefits of fractional resurfacing include:
- Reduce signs of skin damage and ageing
- Improve skin’s texture
- High efficacy and safety
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Improve the appearance of scarring
- Promote smoother, healthier-looking skin
- Help reduce acne
- Non-invasive with minimal downtime
- Reduce dark spots and hyperpigmentation
- Promote a brighter complexion
- Minimise the appearance of pores
- Boost collagen production
- Manage rosacea
- Reduce the appearance of stretch marks
- Reduce the appearance of necklines
- Tighten lax skin around the jowls, neck, and décolletage
- Improve sun damage and age spots
Top Things You Need to Know About Fractional Resurfacing
If you are considering fractional resurfacing or already have a treatment scheduled, here are the top things you need to know about laser treatment.
1. Treatments May Be Uncomfortable or You May Feel Nothing
Since the micro-wounds created during Venus Viva treatment are so tiny, it is tolerated far better than traditional CO2 lasers. Overall, our clients report Venus Viva treatment to be fairly comfortable. Most clients report feelings of slight warmth similar to a sunburn and subtle pinprick sensations.
Before treatment, we apply a topical anesthetic to ensure you stay as comfortable as possible. The entire treatment takes around 15 to 20 minutes and is generally well tolerated and relatively painless.
Your level of comfort during treatment will come down to your pain tolerance, the area being treated, and the depth of treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about discomfort or downtime, please do not hesitate to reach out to our dedicated team.
2. Cooler Months Are the Best Time for Laser Skin Resurfacing
Because laser resurfacing increases the skin’s sensitivity to the sun, the cooler months make an ideal time for laser treatments. Regardless of when you have your fractional laser resurfacing treatment, it is imperative to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF 30 every single day.
Sunscreen is key for preserving your results and preventing additional signs of premature ageing.
3. An Experienced Skincare Practitioner Is Key for Optimal Results and Safety
While treatment with the Venus Viva is highly effective and safe, it is important to have fractional resurfacing done by a trained professional. An underskilled individual can leave you underwhelmed with the results or cause side effects or damage.
Choose a qualified laser resurfacing provider to ensure the best outcome from fractional resurfacing. All of our advanced skin technicians undergo rigorous training, including continuing education, to ensure the best results and the absolute safety of all of our patients.
4. There Are Important Steps to Prepare for Fractional Resurfacing Treatment
Certain factors affect how the skin responds to laser treatment and how well it heals afterwards.
Before any fractional resurfacing treatment, we’ll cover the steps you need to take to ensure your safety and optimise results, such as:
- Avoid wearing makeup to your appointment
- Avoid wearing any creams, perfumes, or lotions to your appointment
- Avoid excessive sun exposure before treatment
- Be honest with your provider about your medical history
- Notify your provider of any medications or supplements you are taking as these can lead to scarring or poor healing after treatment (ex: Accutane) or raise the risk of post-treatment bleeding (ex: Aspirin)
- Notify your provider of any chronic health conditions
- Quit smoking at least 2 weeks before laser treatment
- Before treatment, do not use skin care products with harsh ingredients or exfoliators such as tretinoin or glycolic acid
5. The Type of Laser Matters
There are many different laser options available, with each one being suitable for different skin types and concerns. We utilise the Venus Viva™ for our fractional resurfacing as it creates smoother, healthier skin without the downtime typically associated with harsh laser treatments.
While past laser treatments meant several weeks of discomfort and downtime, the Venus Viva makes it possible to improve skin tone, texture, and appearance with minimal downtime.
6. Multiple Treatments Are Recommended for Best Results
While you can certainly see some improvements after just a single fractional resurfacing treatment, we generally recommend a minimum of 3 sessions for best results.
We’ll analyse your skin and discuss the ideal number of sessions for your skin type and concerns.
7. There May Be Some Downtime Involved
After any procedure, we always provide a detailed after-care plan and are happy to answer any questions that come up.
Treatment with the Venus Viva is generally comfortable and you will go home the same day. However, there may be some minimal downtime involved as your skin heals from the micro-wounds.
We’ll discuss all the details before treatment, but you can generally expect the following:
- A cold compress can be used to relieve any lingering discomfort
- Your skin may appear red and feel tender for 1 to 3 days
- After several days, your skin may feel dry and like ‘sandpaper’ as it begins to turn over and shed the damaged top layer
- After about 10 to 14 days, the top layer of treated skin will fall off and reveal fresh, new skin cells underneath
8. Fractional Resurfacing Is Ideal for Almost All Skin Types
Fractional resurfacing is a safe way for almost all skin types to see smoother, healthier skin. It is a common misconception that resurfacing is not safe for darker skin tones.
While it is true that certain lasers have an increased risk of damage or discolouration in darker skin tones, Venus Viva™ Fractional Resurfacing treatments are safe for all skin tones, including darker skin types.
Although most individuals will be suitable for fractional resurfacing with the Venus Viva, laser treatment is not recommended for:
- Individuals with a history of bleeding disorders
- Individuals with active cold sores or other infections near the treatment area
- Individuals who have taken isotretinoin (Accutane) within the last year
- Individuals who take a medication that increases the skin’s photosensitivity
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding
Before any treatment, including Fractional Resurfacing, we perform a detailed, custom skin analysis to ensure you are a good candidate for the procedure. We’ll always use the safest treatment for your skin type and concerns to get the best results possible.
After-Care Steps Following Your Fractional Resurfacing Treatment
From what to expect before, during, and after treatment to a detailed after-care plan, our team of skincare experts is here for support through every step of your journey to healthier skin.
To optimise your results after fractional resurfacing treatment, it is imperative to follow your after-care plan closely.
It is important to take the appropriate steps, avoid certain activities, and steer clear of certain topical ingredients following fractional resurfacing, including:
- Wear a broad sunscreen spectrum with a minimum of SPF 30 every day, even if it is cloudy or raining
- Avoid direct sun exposure for a minimum of 6 months
- Avoid abrasive scrubs or skincare products
- Avoid skincare products with active ingredients such as retinoids or AHAs for as long as directed by your provider
- Apply a hypoallergenic moisturiser as needed (feel free to ask us for recommendations for the best moisturiser after laser treatment)
- Avoid scrubbing the treated area
- Sleep on your back for at least a few nights after treatment and try to keep your head elevated
- Stay cool and avoid intense physical activity for at least several days
- Do not wear makeup for at least 3 days after treatment
- When you start wearing makeup again, opt for ingredients that are as natural as possible
- Do not go swimming in a chlorinated pool for at least one week after treatment
- Do not pick at the skin or flaking areas during the healing process
We’ll discuss the after-care treatment plan closely with you. Our goal is to make sure you know exactly what to expect during all phases of the treatment process, including the best ways to care for your skin after laser treatment.
Want to Learn More About Fractional Resurfacing?
Whether you are dealing with scarring, signs of ageing, rough texture, fine lines, wrinkles, acne, hyperpigmentation, or other skin concerns, Venus Viva fractional resurfacing can be a safe, effective way to restore a healthy complexion.
Venus Viva™ is one of our favourite non-surgical solutions for younger-looking skin and we’d be happy to answer any of your questions or help you book your consultation.