If you want healthy, glowing skin but aren’t sure where to start, we have you covered.
Our skincare experts have put together a simple guide to taking care of your skin, including do’s and don’t of skincare, how to build an effective skincare routine, and the best skin care treatments for acne, pigmentation, and aging.
1. Wear Sunscreen Every Day – Rain or Shine
Do you ever skip sunscreen on cloudy or rainy days? We’ve all been tempted to do it, but the UVA rays still penetrate, even on overcast days. UVA rays from the sun are responsible for 80% of skin aging!
Wearing broad-spectrum sunscreen every day is the number one way to prevent premature aging and protect your skin. For extra protection, wear wide-brimmed hats or clothing with UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor).
When applying sunscreen, don’t forget these often-overlooked spots:
2. Follow a Daily Skin Care Routine
Whether you have dry, oily, sensitive, or combination skin, a daily skincare routine can help support healthy skin and address concerns such as dark spots, acne, wrinkles, or scarring. Generally, a skincare routine involves a morning and nighttime ritual.
A simple, effective morning skincare routine should include a gentle cleanser, an antioxidant serum (if desired), a moisturizer, and a broad-spectrum sunscreen. If you want the easiest skincare routine possible, stick to a gentle cleanser and sunscreen.
At night, a simple skincare routine includes a cleanser, serum (if desired), treatment product (i.e. retinol), and a moisturizer.
3. Get Your Beauty Sleep
During sleep, your skin repairs itself and focuses on making new collagen. To make the most of your beauty sleep, switch from a cotton pillowcase to a silk pillowcase. The reduced friction offered by a silk pillowcase may help prevent fine lines.
Bonus: Silk pillowcases can help reduce hair breakage too. For best results, be sure to wash your pillowcase at least once a week to make sure it is free of oil or product residue.
4. Start Slowly with New Products
It can be fun to try new skincare products, but it is important not to introduce too many products at once. If you experience a reaction when trying several products at once, it can be difficult to determine which product is causing the issue.
Also, remember to always patch test new products, especially if your skin is sensitive.
Follow these steps to patch test a new product:
- Apply a tiny amount of product on a discreet area of your skin, such as your inner arm or wrists
- Wait at least 48 hours to watch for any reaction
- After 96 hours, check for any delayed reactions
- Reactions may include small bumps, itchiness, irritation, or redness
- If a reaction occurs, wash the test area with a gentle cleanser
5. Avoid Harmful DIY Skin Care Hacks
Have you ever gone on YouTube and watched a video of someone claiming to have found a cure for acne or how to make a DIY facelift using household products? Although these skin care hacks may work for some people, it is important to approach them with caution.
Many of these skincare hacks use harsh ingredients or unproven methods that may further aggravate certain skin conditions or damage the skin’s barrier.
Here are some of the most popular DIY beauty hacks to avoid:
- Garlic – Raw garlic is potent and can cause skin eczema, allergic reactions, and even blisters.
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice’s acidity can cause dry, irritated skin and even promote the formation of dark spots following sun exposure.
- Baking soda – With such a high pH level (8), baking soda can cause stressed, dehydrated skin and a compromised skin barrier.
- Sugar – Although it sounds like a natural exfoliant, sugar is too abrasive and harsh for delicate facial skin.
- Toothpaste – Toothpaste can irritate skin and leave it dehydrated.
- Vitamin E – Although often touted as a natural scar treatment, using vitamin E topically is not proven to heal scars and may cause skin irritation.
Although some of these DIY skincare hacks may not show immediate side effects, many of these ingredients can compromise the skin’s barrier and lead to long-term damage.
Always check with your skin care professional or dermatologist before trying any DIY beauty hacks on your skin.
6. Treat Acne With Proven Ingredients and Professional Treatments
Acne can be painful, leave behind scars, and negatively affect self-esteem. To treat acne, remember to avoid picking at it and look for ingredients that have been proven to help acne, such as:
- Adapalene (a retinoid that used to be available by prescription only but can now be purchased over the counter)
- Salicylic acid
- Alpha hydroxy acids such as glycolic acid
- Benzoyl peroxide
It is *especially* crucial to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen after using these products during the day since they can cause increased sensitivity to the sun.
If over-the-counter acne medications are not helping, reach out to a skincare professional for stronger treatments. Professional light therapy treatments can be an effective, gentle way to heal acne and prevent new breakouts from forming.
7. See a Skincare Professional for DMK Skin Treatments
Whether you are dealing with acne, dullness, or fine lines and wrinkles, DMK Enzyme Therapy is an excellent way to promote stronger, healthier skin. Suitable for all skin types, this groundbreaking treatment helps repair skin from the inside out to reveal radiant, rejuvenated skin.
DMK enzyme therapy works to fight free radicals, flush away toxins, stimulate collagen production, and promote circulation.
8. Exfoliate Regularly
Buffing away the built-up dead cells on the skin’s surface can reveal the fresh, radiant skin cells underneath. The key to exfoliation is to be gentle and avoid harsh, gritty scrubs or abrasive products. These can damage the skin’s barrier and worsen irritation and dryness.
For best results, consider a professional exfoliation treatment such as microdermabrasion. When performed by a skincare expert, microdermabrasion is an effective and gentle way to remove dead surface cells, revealing smoother, more even-toned skin, and helping soften scarring.
Additional Skin Care Tips
- Don’t touch your face unless you are cleansing it or applying products
- Eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, protein, healthy carbs, and fatty acids
- Opt for foods that are low on the glycemic index
- Exfoliate a couple of times a week
- Drink enough water
- Always remove makeup before going to bed
Want to Learn More About Getting the Healthiest Skin Ever?
At Fresh Skin Clinic, our goal is to help our clients achieve healthy, glowing skin. Our advanced skin therapists have extensive expertise in skin health and groundbreaking treatments.
We specialise in a range of non-invasive treatments that can transform skin, including enzyme therapy, collagen induction therapy, acne treatment, permanent hair reduction, light therapy, dermablading, and microdermabrasion. Contact us today to learn more about our customised skin care services and to set up a consultation to find out which treatments would be ideal for your skincare needs and goals.